First, the positives. This hotel is in the heart of downtown so you are very centrally located. The decor is nice, and they have happy hour with free drinks in the evening and then later free milk-and-cookies before bedtime. Brent and I slept extremely well there, which is saying a lot for me since I'm a light sleeper. As far as the wedding goes, we were all very pleased with how things looked. The ballroom was perfect for Nicole's modern-style wedding. They let us pull furniture from the third-floor lobby area into the ballroom for some swanky seating. Plus, that lobby area was perfect for the cocktail hour.
All right, now on to the negatives, which I'm sad to say are numerous. In fact, to make it easier for me, I'm going to just list them out bullet-style:
- People at the front desk aren't entirely on top of things. You would tell them to convey info to a vendor, and they wouldn't, they got names wrong for reservations, etc.
- They used the sheet cake in the back to cut tiny pieces of cake for the guests, but left most of the main cake untouched.
- The food wasn't as tasty and pretty as the sample menu Nicole tasted months before.
- They booked a wedding one floor below Nicole's for the same time, something they originally said they wouldn't do (because the floors are somewhat open to each other by a large staircase.)
- The coordinator left before the reception was over, which is something she said she wouldn't do. This led to: a wedding crasher, unattended wedding gifts (money!), unattended guest book which was then signed as a joke by one the young volleyball girls staying at the hotel, and also an attempt by one of those girls to steal Nicole's bouquet after the getaway. Not cool.
- And perhaps the most frustrating problem was that the wedding coordinator changed probably four times over the course of Nicole's engagement, so info kept changing and knowledge was at a minimum.
That's all I can think of at the moment, though I'm sure there's more. For any of you brides considering a modern downtown Houston wedding reception, I hope this is helpful!
Pin It Now!